life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Poetry Thursday - The Waterfall by Mary Oliver

“The Waterfall” – for May Swenson
~by Mary Oliver~

For all the said,
I could not see the waterfall
until I came and saw the water falling,
its lace legs and its womanly arms sheeting down,

while something howled like thunder,
over the rocks,
all day and all night –
unspooling

like ribbons made of snow,
or god’s white hair.
At any distance
it fell without a break or seam, and slowly, a simple

preponderance –
a fall of flowers – and truly it seemed
surprised by the unexpected kindness of the air and
light-hearted to be

flying at last.
Gravity is a fact everybody
knows about.
It is always underfoot,

like a summons,
gravel-backed and mossy,
in every beetled basin –
and imagination –

that striver,
that third eye –
can do a lot but
hardly everything. The white, scrolled

wings of the tumbling water
I never could have
imagined. And maybe there will be,
after all,

some slack and perfectly balanced
blind and rough peace, finally,
in the deep and green and utterly motionless pools after all that
falling?

9 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Marry Oliver is one of my absolute favorites. Thanks for this. Be well.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

i'm reveling in this poem. absolutely.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i just want to be in a room with every poem that mary oliver has ever written and a few snacks. just leave me there for days.
love it.
thank you for sharing this...

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Sky said...

Edie introduced me to Mary Oliver's work, poetry which is just beautiful! Welcome to Poetry Thursday. :)

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger meghan said...

hi there - as you know, I am new to Mary Oliver's poems & posted one today!! Oh goodness, I LOVE her! I'd join Liz in that room - thank you for sharing!! xoox

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

nice. I'm liking poetry Thursdays.:o).

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger TJ said...

I will have to seek out more...this is wonderful. Thank you for something new in my day...Have a great weekend.
Hugs TJ

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Loved this! I have enjoyed Poetry Thursday over at Sky's journal. I'm glad you are doing it too!

HUGS!

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a deeply meaningful poem. Thank you for sharing it. One minor correction - the first line should read:

"For all they said,"

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home